Volunteer Opportunities at Oceans of Fun
The field of marine mammal care and training is one of exciting, rewarding and challenging opportunities for animal enthusiasts. Yet, without hands on experience, animal training can be a very difficult and competitive field to pursue. Most facilities seek educated and charismatic individuals who are eager to serve the marine mammal community. Our volunteer opportunities are available for those individuals looking to donate time to the care of our animals and assist in conservation efforts, but it is also available to students or individuals looking to pursue a career in a animal related field such as: Biology, Marine Biology, Psychology, Animal Behavior, Oceanography, Ecology (Environmental Protection), Education, and Communication.
Have you always loved marine mammals and been interested in the field of animal training? Do you love the earth and want to help make a difference? Are you passionate about public education and want to assist with our mission for conservation” Then our volunteer programs are a great fit for you! Oceans of Fun is actively interviewing for seasonal volunteer positions. Our programs teach individuals how to be an animal care and environmental specialist. Learn about animal diets, facility care, animal training, medical programs, and assist our staff in educating the public about how to care for the environment.
About Our Program
Oceans of Fun is a globally recognized leader in the field of marine mammal care and training. We receive internship and volunteer applications from around the world. Our programs have been designed to provide participants with valuable experience in a wide variety of activities that occur throughout a trainer’s day. Volunteers are trained to assist our animal care staff in the following areas:
- General understanding of the care and husbandry needs of marine mammals
- Dietary requirements and food preparation for marine mammals
- General water quality understanding
- Public presentations: guest interaction, crowd control, safety, trainer assistance
- Interactive programs: guest interaction and assistance, safety
- Public interaction: professionalism, assistance, question and answer, safety
- Facility maintenance and sanitation
- Animal observations
- Training session and procedural assistance
- Animal behavior and training
- Environmental enrichment
- Current conservation issues
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age.
- Volunteers must agree to all Oceans of Fun policies and release forms.
- Volunteers must submit a completed application, resume and two letters of recommendation.
- Volunteers must be willing to commit to the required hours.
Oceans of Fun offers several seasonal programs. Volunteer positions can be started at any time, however, spring to summer or summer to winter time frames are the most beneficial. All volunteer positions require a minimum of one, 8-hour day per week, for a 6 month commitment or two, 8-hour days per week for 3 months. Positions are on a voluntary basis, therefore will have no financial compensation.
We are actively looking for individuals that are 18 years of age or older and that are highly motivated. If you are interested in applying, please apply below or contact our Intern/Volunteer Coordinator for more details. Due to the large number of resumes received and the limited number of positions available, we recommend getting your applications in as soon as possible for consideration.
Deadlines for Application
|Term||Term Length||Application Deadline|
|Summer||Approximately May 15 - Labor Day||March 15|
|Fall - Winter||Approximately September 15 - January 1||July 15|
|Winter - Spring||Approximately January 15 - May 15||November 15|