Program: Aquatic Adventure
- 6 and Up
1 Hour 30 Minutes
(Start times vary)
You won't want to miss this incredible opportunity! The Oceans of Fun, 1 ½ hour Aquatic Adventure program, begins behind the scenes at our facility, where we educate you about marine mammals, animal adaptations, training techniques, and steps we can take to protect these animals as well as the environments they live in. Participants then get suited up in life vests and booties in preparation of meeting our animals. You'll enter the water on a wet dock, which sits about 3-4 feet in the water.
All participants are given the opportunity to touch, feed, interact with, and train our seals or sea lions. The program was designed to give participants a unique hands on experience with these beautiful and intelligent marine mammals. After your final sea lion kiss goodbye, an educator will escort you to our Sea Lion Shoppe where you will be able to view and purchase high resolution digital photographs taken throughout the program which will be sent to you via e-mail within 24 hours following the program.
Since this program is the ONLY one of it's kind in the MIDWEST, our summers tend to fill up quickly. Aquatic Adventure programs open for the season in May. Make your reservation today!
A paying participating adult must accompany children between the ages of 6 – 12 years of age.
This program is available at our Milwaukee Location.
- Guests must be at least 6 years of age or older. Any guest 6-12 years of age must be accompanied by a paying participating guardian (18 years of age or older) in the program.
- Participants must sign a liability release and all participation sheets before beginning the program.
- Family or friends wishing to observe the program will be charged a $25.00 observation fee per person. Learn more about the Observer Program here
- Participants will be entering the water on a submerged platform to directly interact with animals. Each participant will be fitted for a life vest, but will not be free swimming with the animals.
- Participants must speak and understand English without the use of an interpreter.
- Participants under the influence of alcoholic beverages or any type of controlled substance, will forfeit their right to participate in the interactive program.
- Being in good general health is recommended for all participants safety and ensures a healthy environment for the animals.
- Participants should remove jewelry and sunglasses prior to entering the water. Prescription lenses worn for vision correction are acceptable.
- Photos will be taken during the interactive portion of your program. Photo packages will be made available and any packages purchased will be kept on file for 60 days. Personal cameras are not allowed. Paid program observers are allowed to use still photography equipment; however the use of video cameras is prohibited.
- Participants are expected to follow all instructions given by the Educators and Animal Care Staff. Oceans of Fun reserves the right to remove any disruptive individuals at any time during the program.
- Participants should never enter the water without direction from the Animal Care Staff and will be asked to wait for instructions before attempting to touch an animal. Touching the animals’ eyes, ears, mouth, head, and genital area during the interaction is not allowed.
- Participants requiring assistance or with special needs must be discussed prior to the program. This is to ensure the safety of all program participants and our animals.
- In the best interest of our future guests, pregnant women will not be admitted.
Pick-Up and Drop-Off
- All participants must report to the Sea Lion Shoppe (Located on the north end of Monkey Island) at least 30 minutes prior to the start of the program. Due to program and show schedules, all programs start promptly. If you arrive late you may join the program already in progress.
- Any participant under the age of 16 MUST be dropped off and picked up by an authorized parent or guardian promptly at the end of the program.
- There is a late fee for pick up if you are more than 15 minutes late. You will be charged an additional $5.00 for every 15 minutes you are late for pick up.
The Aquatic Adventure program is an in-water interactive program where you enter the animal’s environment on a waist-deep wet dock. You will be wearing a life vest and water shoes for your safety and comfort when interacting with our animals. This is not a swim program. All of our interactions occur in a controlled setting where we bring the animals to you.
No. Participants should be comfortable entering waist-deep water but will not be required to swim. You will be fitted with a life vest and water shoes for your safety and comfort when interacting with our animals. All interactions occur on a submerged dock about 3-4 feet in depth where we bring the animals to you.
Yes. All participants between the ages of 6 - 12 must have a paying participating adult (18 years or older) in the program with them. This is for the safety and comfort of our guests and animals.
Please wear or bring a swim suit to wear during the interactive portion of the program. You may come to the zoo with your swim suit already on beneath your clothes or may change prior to the animal interactive time.
No. Please come prepared to enter the pool wearing a swim suit. If you already own a rash guard or wet suit you are welcome to bring it along and wear it in the program; however we do not provide wet suits for participants.
Please bring a swim suit, towel and change of clothes for each participant. We provide a changing area equipped with a cold, freshwater shower and changing stall for participant use following the program.
We recommend you leave valuables at home. Participants will be asked to remove all jewelry and sunglasses prior to entering the water for the safety of our animals. Ocean Connections will provide guest lockers to store your personal items during the interaction but will not be held responsible for lost or stolen belongings.
All interactive programs require liability and participation forms on file prior to the start of the program. These forms vary by program and may be completed online or in person during program check-in.
Summer Camp Check-In
Check-in for all summer camp programs will occur in the US Bank Gathering Place. Please look for the Ocean Connections sign for registration. Please allow extra time for check-in on the first day of camp to review important information. Camp participants do not check-in at the Sea Lion Shoppe.
Check-in for all other interactive programs will occur at the Sea Lion Shoppe which is located on the northeast side of the zoo near Monkey Island. Program check-in begins 30 minutes prior to the program start time. Please allow extra time to enter and navigate the zoo to reach our Sea Lion Shoppe at least 30 minutes before your program is scheduled to begin. This will allow ample time to check in all participants, ensure paperwork is complete and provide an orientation to participants and families.
We strongly encourage participants to visit the restroom prior to the start of their program.
Some classes or camps may include an animal that participants can touch or see up close at the discretion of a trainer. All interactive programs include some level of animal interaction; however, Aquatic Adventure is the only program that includes petting.
Pre-paid merchandise will be available for pick up on the first day of your program. Merchandise will be distributed at our Sea Lion Shoppe located north of Monkey Island, just outside of the Ocean Connections show stadium.
Ocean Connections offers a photo session following most Seal and Sea Lion Shows. For more information please visit our Photo Program page.
Photos are taken during every interactive program and will be available for review and purchase following the program. We offer a variety of photo packages including digital photos and/or a USB photo option so that you may take your memories of your time with us home with you.
Yes. We offer group programs perfect for scout troops, community groups, family outings, special occasions and birthday parties. All Private Parties can be tailored to fit age groups 5 years and older making them a truly unique experience. For more information please visit our Private Parties page.
All interactive programs run rain or shine. Participants should come dressed for all weather conditions. (i.e., rain poncho, closed-toed shoes, boots, hat, gloves, etc.) Umbrellas will not be allowed in animal areas or utilized during interaction times.
In the event of severe weather, accommodations may be made to postpone or reschedule your program. Ocean Connections will make these determinations and contact you with as much notice as possible.
If you cancel: If you reschedule 14 days before the program is scheduled, we will try to reschedule your program for another available date within the season, or you may offer your program session to a friend of the same age. Please alert us of any participant changes. All changes will need to be verified by Ocean Connections staff.
If you need to reschedule with less than 14 days before your scheduled program, you may reschedule for a rescheduling fee.
Underwater Journey Summer Camp reservations will be charged a $50.00 rescheduling fee per reservation based on availability. All other program reservations will be charged a $25.00 rescheduling fee per reservation based on availability.
Please access your Ocean Connections account to reschedule your programs.We do not issue refunds if you cancel.
If we cancel: Ocean Connections reserves the right to cancel programs based on weather restrictions or animal needs. We will attempt to reschedule a cancelled program. If we are unable to do so, or if we cannot accommodate you in another session, you will receive a refund.
Program start times are not flexible. Due to animal and show schedules and in respect of other program participants, all programs will begin promptly at their start time. If you arrive late, please check in at the Sea Lion Shoppe where we will ensure all paperwork is complete. We will then allow you to join the program already in progress.
It’s important that you check your confirmation immediately. If you arrive on a day other than the date on your confirmation, we will not be able to accommodate you. Interactive programs have limited availability. If there is availability for a future program/camp, you may register again and pay the program fee.
If you miss a program due to a medical issue, you must provide a doctor’s note confirming care within two weeks of your missed program in order to reschedule your program without penalty. All rescheduled programs are subject to program availability.
We do not issue refunds if you miss your program.
Program participants will not be allowed to bring cameras into their program. It is important that you give the animals and training staff your complete focus and attention to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience. Our staff will take photos during the interactive program that will be available for review and purchase following each program.
As an Observer, you will have the opportunity to take still photographs from our designated area, but we ask that you remain seated to help minimize distraction for our animals. Videotaping during programs is prohibited. For more information please visit our Observer Program page.
If your child requires any medication (prescription or non-prescription) while attending a program, you must fill out and sign a medication form for each day your child attends.
Children must be the required age by the date of the session. Exceptions for children with special needs should be arranged by calling Ocean Connections 414-453-5527 ext 1 prior to registering.
Please contact Ocean Connections to discuss any special needs with our training staff. We need to be notified in advance of programs due to the safety considerations while working with animals. We want to ensure that we set both animals and participants up for successful interactions. We have the ability to tailor programs to accommodate a variety of special needs and would be happy to work with you.
In order for everyone to enjoy the program, we request that you silence your cell phone and/or pager when participating in an interactive program.
Contact Ocean Connections at 414-453-5527 ext 1 to get in touch with your child in case of an emergency.
Inform the staff when your child is dropped off for class or camp. If you need an early pick up after you drop off your child, call Ocean Connections at 414-453-5527 ext 1.
Contact Ocean Connections at 414-453-5527 ext 1 to notify us of the participant’s absence. If you miss a program due to a medical issue, you must provide a doctor’s note within two weeks of your missed program confirming care to reschedule your program without penalty. All rescheduled programs are subject to program availability.
If you have any questions regarding the Ocean Connections interactive programs or your registration, please contact Ocean Connections at 414-453-5527 ext 1 or contact us here.