Marine Voyagers - Nautical Navigators
Marine Mammal Kids Day Camps in Milwaukee, WI
- 11 to 15
- 6 Hours 30 Minutes
Marine Voyagers - Nautical Navigators
Our Nautical Navigator is brand new for the 2020 season and better than ever! This summer camp for 11-15 year olds focuses on the incredible adaptations that our seals and sea lions possess to survive both on land and in the water. The first day of this camp will focus on the amazing assets our seals and sea lions possess on land. From their strong stomach muscles and rotating hip bones, to how they eat 5 to 50 pounds of fish, our campers will learn everything they need to know about how seals and sea lions survive on land. The second day of this camp will be soaked in underwater information! Campers will explore the adaptations seals and sea lions possess to help them be just as successful underwater as they are on land. Be sure to pack a swimsuit since this is the ONLY camp that has the opportunity to get into the water with our seals and sea lions. To conclude our Nautical Navigator camp, campers will have the experience of a lifetime entering our pool! They will stand on our waist-deep wet dock and meet one of our animal ambassadors on their level. They will splash, play, and learn alongside one of our seals and sea lions as well as our animal care team to create a lifetime of memories.
Summer 2020 Marine Mammal Camp Sessions
June 18th - 19th
June 29th - 30th
July 23rd - 24th
August 3rd - 4th
August 6th - 7th
August 13th - 14th
At the conclusion of our camp, parents will have the opportunity to view and purchase photos of their children interacting with our animals. The only marine mammal kids day camp in Wisconsin, these programs fill quickly.
- Guests must be between 10-12 years of age to participate in this program.
- A parent/guardian must sign a liability release and all participation sheets before the child begins the program.
- Extended care reservations must be made at least 3 days in advance.
- Box lunch orders must be made at least a week in advance. Please see the Box Lunch Program form for details.
- Participants must speak and understand English without the use of an interpreter.
- Participants will be meeting the seals and sea lions from the safety of dry docks and poolside areas. Although feeding and playing with the animals are part of the program, participants will not be entering the water or touching the animals.
- Participants should remove jewelry and sunglasses prior to the start of the program. Prescription lenses worn for vision correction are acceptable.
- Photos will be taken during the interactive portion of your program. Photo packages will be made available and any packages purchased will be kept on file for 60 days. Personal cameras and video recorders are not allowed.
- Wearing comfortable footwear is recommended for safety.
- Participants are expected to follow all instructions given by the Educators and Animal Care Staff. Oceans of Fun reserves the right to remove any disruptive individuals at any time during the program.
- Participants requiring assistance or with special needs must be discussed prior to the program. This is to ensure the safety of all program participants and our animals.
Pick-Up and Drop-Off
- Please be sure to check your child in each morning at the US Bank Gathering Place by 9:30 am. There will be a brief orientation with check in on the first day of camp. Please allow an extra 10 minutes for the check in process.
- AM Extended Care runs from 8:00 – 9:30 am. All campers arriving between 8:00 – 9:15 am will be expected to attend AM Extended Care and will be charged the standard rate of $7.00 unless a guardian stays on premises until the start of the camp day. For AM extended care, parents/guardians may enter the zoo parking lot through the exit gate and drive carefully to the US Bank Gathering Place. Please use extreme caution while driving against the normal flow of traffic. Please park your car and walk your child up to the Oceans of Fun check-in area for drop off.
- PM Extended Care runs from 4:00 – 5:00 pm. Campers that are registered for extended care will remain with Oceans of Fun staff until their authorized guardian arrives for pick up. The cost of this service is $6.00. All other campers will be picked up promptly at 4:00 pm.
- There is a late fee for pick up if you are more than 15 minutes late. You will be charged an additional $5.00 for every 15 minutes you are late for pick up.
- Parents/guardians must enter through the Milwaukee County Zoo admission gates during normal zoo hours. If arriving between the hours of 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, all cars must pass through the admission gates and present your program admission ticket to be allowed entrance for camper drop off and pick-up.
Underwater Journey Summer Camps
AM/PM extended care is offered only during our summer camp programs. AM/PM extended care is not an extension of the camp. It is supervised care for children ages 7-13 who are attending full-day camps. There is a $15.00 fee for each AM care session and a $10.00 fee for each PM care session. With registration, you may drop off your child for AM extended care as early as 8:00 am and pick up your child from PM extended care by 5:00 pm. There are no refunds for canceling these sessions and arrangements must be made in advance.
Your camper should bring a lunch that does not need to be refrigerated or heated. He or she should also bring a reusable water bottle with them every day. A backpack is recommended with sun screen, a light jacket, and a hat. Please label all personal items with the camper's name.
Campers should wear comfortable clothing and shoes. Please dress for the weather. We plan on being outside at times, so campers should dress appropriately. We suggest a rain jacket and umbrella on rainy days, and sunscreen and hat on hot, sunny days. Please apply sunscreen prior to the start of camp so we are ready to explore the zoo.
No. Parents have the option of sending a bag lunch and beverage for each day of camp or purchasing box lunches from the Milwaukee County Zoo. The cost for box lunches is $5.50 per lunch and must be ordered in advance.
A snack and beverage are provided during the camp day. Please inform us of any dietary restrictions your child may have.
No. Campers must bring a lunch and beverage or pre-order a box lunch for each day of camp. Camp will be going on during our busy season, so purchasing food in the cafeteria will not be possible. Campers will not be permitted to use vending machines around the zoo or visit food vendors outdoors. Campers will not have access to refrigerators or microwaves. Please make sure your camper eats a complete breakfast before coming to camp each morning.
We serve a snack in all of our summer camp programs. Please include these details on your child’s emergency forms to inform us of any food-related allergies.
All interactive programs require liability and participation forms on file prior to the start of the program. These forms vary by program and may be completed online or in person during program check-in.
Summer Camp Check-In
Check-in for all summer camp programs will occur in the US Bank Gathering Place. Please look for the Ocean Connections sign for registration. Please allow extra time for check-in on the first day of camp to review important information. Camp participants do not check-in at the Sea Lion Shoppe.
Check-in for all other interactive programs will occur at the Sea Lion Shoppe which is located on the northeast side of the zoo near Monkey Island. Program check-in begins 30 minutes prior to the program start time. Please allow extra time to enter and navigate the zoo to reach our Sea Lion Shoppe at least 30 minutes before your program is scheduled to begin. This will allow ample time to check in all participants, ensure paperwork is complete and provide an orientation to participants and families.
We strongly encourage participants to visit the restroom prior to the start of their program.
Some classes or camps may include an animal that participants can touch or see up close at the discretion of a trainer. All interactive programs include some level of animal interaction; however, Aquatic Adventure is the only program that includes petting.
Pre-paid merchandise will be available for pick up on the first day of your program. Merchandise will be distributed at our Sea Lion Shoppe located north of Monkey Island, just outside of the Ocean Connections show stadium.
Ocean Connections offers a photo session following most Seal and Sea Lion Shows. For more information please visit our Photo Program page.
Photos are taken during every interactive program and will be available for review and purchase following the program. We offer a variety of photo packages including digital photos and/or a USB photo option so that you may take your memories of your time with us home with you.
Yes. We offer group programs perfect for scout troops, community groups, family outings, special occasions and birthday parties. All Private Parties can be tailored to fit age groups 5 years and older making them a truly unique experience. For more information please visit our Private Parties page.
All interactive programs run rain or shine. Participants should come dressed for all weather conditions. (i.e., rain poncho, closed-toed shoes, boots, hat, gloves, etc.) Umbrellas will not be allowed in animal areas or utilized during interaction times.
In the event of severe weather, accommodations may be made to postpone or reschedule your program. Ocean Connections will make these determinations and contact you with as much notice as possible.
Interactive Programs are Non-refundable
Rescheduling: Rescheduliing may be done 14 days prior to the program date without penalty dependent upon availability. You may offer your program session to a friend of the same age if rescheduling is not possilble. Please alert us of any participant changes. All changes will need to be verified by Ocean Connections staff.
If you need to reschedule less than 14 days prior to your scheduled program, you may reschedule with a rescheduling fee.
Reservation Rescheduling Fees associated with less than a 14 day notice are as follows. Summer Camp reservations will be charged a $50.00 rescheduling fee per reservation and are based on availability. All other program reservations will be charged a $25.00 rescheduling fee per reservation and are based on availability.
If you miss a program due to a medical issue, you may provide a doctor’s note confirming care within two weeks of your missed program to reschedule your program without penalty. All rescheduled programs are subject to program availability.
Please access your Ocean Connections account to reschedule your programs. We do not issue refunds.
If we cancel: In the event that Ocean Connections must cancel a program due to based on weather restrictions or animal needs we will attempt to reschedule the program or extend a credit for a time which will work for you. If we are unable to do so, or if we cannot accommodate you in another session, you will receive a refund.
COVID- 19 Rescheduling/ Cancellations: All efforts are being made to to provide programming under Milwaukee County Direction. In the event that a program can not run due to State or County restrictions, we will make every effort to reschedule the program, provide you credit for our upcoming season or credit for an operating program. All rescheduling will be handled on a case by case basis.
Program start times are not flexible. Due to animal and show schedules and in respect of other program participants, all programs will begin promptly at their start time. If you arrive late, please check in at the Sea Lion Shoppe where we will ensure all paperwork is complete. We will then allow you to join the program already in progress.
It’s important that you check your confirmation immediately. If you arrive on a day other than the date on your confirmation, we will not be able to accommodate you. Interactive programs have limited availability. If there is availability for a future program/camp, you may register again and pay the program fee.
If you miss a program due to a medical issue, you must provide a doctor’s note confirming care within two weeks of your missed program in order to reschedule your program without penalty. All rescheduled programs are subject to program availability.
We do not issue refunds if you miss your program.
Program participants will not be allowed to bring cameras into their program. It is important that you give the animals and training staff your complete focus and attention to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience. Our staff will take photos during the interactive program that will be available for review and purchase following each program.
As an Observer, you will have the opportunity to take still photographs from our designated area, but we ask that you remain seated to help minimize distraction for our animals. Videotaping during programs is prohibited. For more information please visit our Observer Program page.
If your child requires any medication (prescription or non-prescription) while attending a program, you must fill out and sign a medication form for each day your child attends.
Children must be the required age by the date of the session. Exceptions for children with special needs should be arranged by calling Ocean Connections 414-453-5527 ext 1 prior to registering.
Please contact Ocean Connections to discuss any special needs with our training staff. We need to be notified in advance of programs due to the safety considerations while working with animals. We want to ensure that we set both animals and participants up for successful interactions. We have the ability to tailor programs to accommodate a variety of special needs and would be happy to work with you.
In order for everyone to enjoy the program, we request that you silence your cell phone and/or pager when participating in an interactive program.
Contact Ocean Connections at 414-453-5527 ext 1 to get in touch with your child in case of an emergency.
Inform the staff when your child is dropped off for class or camp. If you need an early pick up after you drop off your child, call Ocean Connections at 414-453-5527 ext 1.
Contact Ocean Connections at 414-453-5527 ext 1 to notify us of the participant’s absence. If you miss a program due to a medical issue, you must provide a doctor’s note within two weeks of your missed program confirming care to reschedule your program without penalty. All rescheduled programs are subject to program availability.
If you have any questions regarding the Ocean Connections interactive programs or your registration, please contact Ocean Connections at 414-453-5527 ext 1 or contact us here.