Our Sea Lions
Oceans of Fun has a colony of both male and female California sea lions which allows us to educate the public about these majestic animals along with environmental conservation. California sea lions are playful, noisy, social animals. They often rest closely packed together at favored “haul-out” sites on land or float together on the ocean’s surface in “rafts”.
- Sea lions can hold their breath for 10-15 minutes.
- Sea lions can reach speeds up to 22 mph.
- A female sea lion's gestation period is 12 months, including a 3 month delayed implantation. During this time the fertilized egg is free-floating and not attached to the uterine wall.
- Pups nurse for 6 - 12 months.
- California sea lions can be found as far north as British Columbia, along the coast of California and as far south as Mexico.
- Sea lions are capable of diving to depths of up to 1100 feet.
- A group of sea lions is called a rookery.
Click here to meet the sea lions of Oceans of Fun.