Did you know that harbor seals can be found in every ocean around the world? Oceans of Fun has the privilege to be home to both Atlantic and Pacific harbor seals. These amazing animals provide us with an opportunity to educate the public about environmental conservation. Harbor seals spend about half of their time on land and the other half in the water. Harbor seals can swim up to 12 - 15 miles per hour, but they generally cruise at slower speeds.
- Seal pups are born in spring and summer, and enter the water almost immediately.
- Seals are capable of diving to depths of up to 656 feet.
- Seals typically breathe every 3 minutes but they are capable of staying under water for up to 30 minutes.
- Sexual maturity in seals happens at age 3-6 for females and 3-7 for males.
- Seals prefer to haul out on rocky cliffs as well as sandy beaches to rest and raise their pups.
Click here to meet the seals of Oceans of Fun.